‘Plastic Free July is a global movement that helps millions of people be part of the solution to plastic pollution – so we can have cleaner streets, oceans, and beautiful communities. Will you be part of Plastic Free July by choosing to refuse single-use plastics?’
Plastic Free July is a good way to try and go plastic-free. It’s a very useful exercise and enlightening to the extent of plastic use around us. Reduce the demand, reduce the supply, reduce the pollution. It’s an important aspect towards making the changes that we need.
Some local people who took the challenge last year wrote blogs to share their experiences, and to help and encourage others. Helpful Facebook groups such as the Plastic Free Living Swindon, Refill Swindon, Ecobricks Swindon and Let’s fight Plastic Pollution! Together! have been doing what they can to help encourage and facilitate change.
For Plastic Free July this year, we have a busy month of activities lined up to encourage participation and to raise awareness towards positive change.
- Treasures From Our Trash – photography competition as part of Refill Swindon.
- My Town, My World – mural painting in the town centre.
- Our Plastic Feedback for Sainsbury’s – Sainsbury’s are not doing enough to reduce plastic packaging / pollution. So we are going to engage with them and their customers.
- Pinehurst Fun Day – we have a stall for the day.
- Central Area Plogging – Do you like jogging? Do you like picking up plastic litter? Then we have a great event for you…
- Pinehurst Litter Pick – with RSPCA North Wiltshire.
- Central Area Liter Pick – with the Central Area Residents Improvement Group (CARIG).
- Our Plastic Feedback For Tesco – Tesco are not doing enough to reduce plastic packaging / pollution. So we are going to engage with them and their customers.
Plastic Free Swindon launched its first events at the start of Plastic Free July 2018 – a litter pick with the RSPCA and a film showing, ‘Addicted to Plastic’. It was a very busy month to launch our campaign. And a very positive one. Millions of people around the world take part in Plastic Free July. Why not take the challenge?
Hope to see you for one or more events. Be the change…