***Plastic Free Swindon can now be found at https://plasticfreeswindon.org***
Here’s a few tips that we hope that you will find useful:
- Watch the videos on the ecobricks website.
- Only use clean, dry, non-biodegradeable plastic. Any organic material can cause the bottle to explode. No metal / foil, as used in some crisp packets and sweet wrappers. Again, see the ecobricks website for further detail.
- Start with smaller bottles, if you have them. They are easier to get right.
- Intersperse the lighter plastic with the more rigid plastic to maximise the density.
- Start with lighter / easily crushable plastic. Scrunching it up a few times first makes it easier to compact in.
- Cut the more rigid plastic up and insert it in small layers.
- Weigh your bottle frequently to ensure that you achieve the correct density.
- If you are filling a bit at a time, make sure you compact the partly filled bottles again before you start adding more plastic, if the bottles have been left for a while the plastic starts to expand.